Saturday, February 4, 2017

Jordana

I can say there are a handful of paintings that I have done in the past that have changed or shaped my life. This is one of them. I was asked by my pastor to paint a portrait for a little girl I didn't even know. She was a parishioner at my church who had passed away from a short battle with cancer. I was very reluctant to accept this project simply because I didn't want to disappoint her family. I had been experiencing somewhat of a dry spell and had almost given up on painting. Something about this seemed to call me. Mentally it took me a few months to begin. So many thoughts played with my emotions... as an artist or a person was I even worthy of such a task? As the deadline approached I had yet to put a pencil to paper and my sleep had been tormented with thoughts of failure. Eventually a concept was approved and the sketching began with a little prayer each time to Jordana to help me do my best for her parents. I think I did. For what I had planned to take a math to complete was miraculously completed in 5 days! I still can't explain it. The finished 3x4 foot painting was presented during the one year anniversary of her passing in front of more than a hundred people who came to pay their respects. I left the church with a sense of accomplishment - not because of the publicity but because the painting will serve as an eternal memory in their home. So with all the sleepless nights and worry I can say I did what I thought was impossible and unworthy of me. Thank you Jordana.







No comments:

Post a Comment